Changes in Version 2
Garrett GT28R & GT30R Options
One of the most common requests we have had over the past year was for an option to run the smaller, faster spooling Garret GT & GTX28 frame turbocharger. To make this happen, we had to design a new turbo-to-transmission support bracket along with a few custom-molded silicone couplers to accommodate the smaller compressor housing. The custom-molded silicone coupler had to be designed not only for the GTX28 compressor housing that uses a 3” inlet, but also a separate one for the standard GT30R which uses a 4” inlet. The new coupler was also designed to connect to the new Cobra Intake and clear the newly redesigned turbo over-pipe. The kit will be offered with the GT3076R or GT2871R turbocharger as standard and can be upgraded to the GTX2867R, GTX2871R, or GTX3076R for an additional cost. Power ranges from 300 WHP to 550+ WHP.
Rotomolded Cobra Air Intake
Another request we have had from some of our customers was the ability to retain the factory strut cross-bar. To accomplish this, we had to redesign the original aluminum 4” air intake from a material that would allow us to produce complex shapes while minimizing unnecessary weight. Using rotational molding, we were able to produce a custom molded 4” cobra-shape intake out of lightweight, heat resistant, and very durable polyethylene. Countless hours were spent digitizing, 3D modeling, 3D printing, CNC tooling and producing the new Cobra Intake. The Cobra Intake wraps around the back side of the engine block, transitions from 4” round to 6” oval back to 4” round. The transition still maintains the nominal 4” cross-sectional area. The 4” diameter intake along with our 4” custom molded dry-element air filter allows for more air flow than the FA20 motor can handle.
Investment Cast 304 Stainless Steel Two-Piece Over-Pipes
Also, a big change in version 2 is the redesign of the 304 stainless steel, two piece, turbo over-pipe. Even though our customers were fine with the existing over-pipe, we felt it needed some improvements in terms of all-out track use and ease of installation. To help manage the enormous amount of radiant heat from the over-pipe, we opted to redesign the two piece over-pipe and manufacture it by investment casting it in 304SS material. This same process is used to produce the Tial 304SS turbine housing used in our Turbo System. The thicker-wall material not only adds durability but also reduces heat transfer. In addition, we reposition the v-band connection on the two pipes further back towards the turbo to allow easier access to the v-band clamp from underneath the vehicle. Just like the new intake tube, we spent countless hours digitizing, 3D modeling, 3D printing, and tooling investment to produce the new over-pipes. In addition to the new over-pipes, we reinforced the transmission bracket and added a front support bracket for the over-pipe to header connection. This helps further reduce the load of the over-pipe on the header.
Mechanical Turbo Oil Scavenging Pump
Finally, for those concerned about our use of an electrical turbo oil scavenging pump or potential user-installation issues, we now include a mechanical turbo oil scavenging pump in version 2. The new setup uses a custom billet aluminum cylinder head block-off plate, a custom CNC-modified factory FA20 DIT oil pump, and a custom billet aluminum turbo oil sump. To make the kit even more track-worthy, all oil lines to and from the pump, turbo, and oil sump are all race-style stainless-braided PTFE oil lines with race-style AN-flare fittings. The oil lines are all covered with a black PVC coating to prevent abrasion with other components on the vehicle. In addition, we also supply thermal heat shield sleeving for all lines (oil and coolant) around the hot turbocharger—no cheap rubber hoses for critical fluid lines are used in our kit.
One of the biggest challenges in designing a reliable turbo system is heat management. We address this in our turbo system by positioning the turbocharger and exhaust components away from the front of the engine bay. The turbocharger, wastegate, and exhaust components make up the bulk of not only the radiant heat in a turbo system but also the weight. By moving the hot turbo out of the engine bay and to the bottom rear of the engine block, we created a low mid-mounted turbo system. The placement of the turbo in this location allows a constant air flow from underneath the vehicle to help cool the turbo, wastegate, and downpipe. In addition to addressing the heat management issues, placing the turbo low and mid-ship on the vehicle helps to maintain the low center of gravity of the boxer engine as well as the balance of the vehicle.
• Low, Mid-Mounted Turbo System
- Maintains the low center of gravity of the boxer engine and balance of vehicle by positioning the turbo low and center on the vehicle.
- Placement of the turbo underneath the vehicle allows for better turbo cooling and eliminates additional heat soak to the engine bay
- Allows for a very efficient (almost straight) downpipe
• Easily Revert Vehicle Back to Stock (if necessary)
- No bumper support cutting or removal
- No removal or modification of the factory radiator fan and shroud -- the factory radiator shroud and fans are very efficient and reliable
- No modification to the factory oil pan -- no need to remove, modify or weld the factory pan for the turbo oil return
• Effective Boost Control (Wastegating)
- Wastegate-priority turbo over-pipe -- designed to prevent boost creep
- External Racing Wastegate -- More reliable control of boost pressure for high output applications
- Wastegate placement away from turbocharger -- prevent radiant heat from the turbine housing from affecting the reliability of the WG diaphragm & valve(stabilizes boost pressure)
- Efficient 3" Downpipe and recirculated Wastegate dump tube -- A larger and straighter downpipe, means a more efficient turbo system and the greater the power potential with a given turbo and boost pressure. The recirculated WG dump tube is positioned over two feet downstream from the turbine outlet to not affect the exhaust flow exiting the turbine housing.
• Proper MAF Sensor Placement
- Ample length of straight piping ahead of the MAF sensor allows for smooth flow for stable readings.
- Sensor is centered within the piping.
- Smooth and consistent part throttle drivability is maintained.
- OEM quality transient throttle response is maintained.
- Blow-through design prevents any drivability issues associated with vent-to-atmosphere BOV’s.
• Mandrel Bent Aluminum Intercooler Piping
- Constructed out of 6061 aluminum.
- Mandrel bent tubing is used throughout to allow for the most efficient flow.
- Brackets are fitted to the piping in key locations to secure the system and allow it to move with the engine, preventing any unwanted noises.
- All couplers are made of high quality 4 ply silicone made in the USA.
- Piping routed through tight spaces use flexible silicone couplers.
- 1/8”NPT boost reference bung on the hot pipe available for wastegate reference line.
- 1/8”NPT bung located on inlet pipe available for water/meth injection (WMI) nozzle. Eliminates modification to IC piping to run WMI
- No cutting in the engine bay required.
- Intake shroud to reduce intake of hot air from the engine bay and the radiator.
- Intake shroud fitted with rubber seal strip to seal against the hood and prevent any noise due to vibration.
• Intercooler Core
- Utilizes custom 24" x 3.5" thick made in the USA Bell Intercooler Core
- End-tanks constructed of laser-cut CNC-bent 6061 Aluminum.
- Largest size core used to make effective use of the available front opening in the stock bumper.
- Supports upwards of 600whp.
- Professionally welded in house.
- Aluminum mounting tabs secure the intercooler and prevent it from moving.
- Because the core is only as large as the front bumper opening, it does not fill the space behind the bumper support, allowing airflow to reach all of the radiator.
- Retain all lower bumper cover and undertrays and fits properly behind front bumper cover without modifications.
• Mechanical Turbo Oil Scavenging Pump
- OEM Subaru Pump (Custom Machined)
- No wiring required.
- Quiet operation.
- No modification of factory oil pan required.
- Billet oil scavenge sump designed to be compact and allow for proper underbody clearance.
- Only quality Garrett dual ball bearing GT turbochargers are used.
- Available with GT2871R, GTX-2867R, GTX-2871R, GT3076R, GTX-3076R. Ranging from 300whp to 550+whp
- Properly sized oil restrictor included and pre-installed on turbo.
- Ball bearing design allows for fast spool and quick response.
- Water cooled CHRA prevents degradation of the oil when the engine is shut off (no turbo timers are required).
- Water cooled design prolongs the life of the oil seals.
- Check-valve included on oil feed line minimize oil-coking to CHRA when engine is shut off.
- Turbo comes pre-clocked to reduce installation time and fitment issues.
- Tial Stainless Steel Turbine Housing standard .63 A/R for optimal performance (other A/R sizes available on request).
- Stainless steel locking tabs for turbine housing bolt. Pre-installed for reliable track use.
• Turbo Oil & Coolant Lines
- All turbo oil lines are race-quality, custom crimped, PTFE, braided stainless steel lines with PVC coated outer for abrasion resistance.
- All turbo coolant lines are race-quality, custom crimped, PTFE, braided stainless steel lines with PVC coated outer for abrasion resistance.
- All lines include thermal heat shield tubing to minimize heat transfer from turbine housing -- a must for reliable track use.
• Exhaust Components
- Turbo system allows the use of the factory header, PTUNING racing header, or most, if not all of the aftermarket headers on the market. This allows you to retain your existing equal length or un-equal headers.
- Full 3" 304 SS downpipe for the ultimate in horsepower and response.
- Full 304 SS Turbo two-piece overpipe.
- Full 304 SS wastegate inlet pipe.
- Full 304 SS wastegate recirculated dump tube with flex bellows standard (eliminating unnecessary exhaust noise when reaching full boost).
- Full 304 SS wastegate DTA dump tube (very loud and obnoxious at full boost) (optional at no extra cost).
- All turbo exhaust components to and from the turbo/WG use race-style stainless steel v-band clamps for a gasket-less exhaust connection.
• Wastegate & Blow-off Valve
- Turbosmart Race Port blow-off valve.
- Turbosmart Comp-Gate 40mm external wastegate.
• Swaybar & End-Links
- Included with our turbo system is a custom solid front 21mm swaybar (stock is 19mm)
- Adjustable Whiteline front sway-bar end-links for proper corner-balancing.
• Optional Components (The following components have been designed and thoroughly tested with our turbo system using our in-house Dyno Dynamics dyno)
- PTUNING Fueling System - Injectors, MAP Sensor, Ecutek License. Fueling package will include PTUNING Ecutek RaceRom Start-Up Base Map.
- PTUNING SS T304 4-to-1 Equal Length Racing Header
- PTUNING Exhaust Adapter to mate our 3" Downpipe to any factory-style mid-pipe back exhaust system.
- PTUNING Laminova Oil Cooler System.
- PTUNING PnP Electronic Boost Control Solenoid (3-Port).
- PTUNING PnP Flex Fuel System.
- We also offer e-tunes by our Ecutek Master Tuner for our turbo system as well as normally aspirated and all forced induction systems.
NOTE: The PTUNING Race Header pictured with the turbo system is sold separately and not included with the turbo system.
One Year Warranty